horncups.com

PHC Horn Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: PHC Stainless Steel Mouthpieces
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:36 am 
Site Admin

PHC can now offer stainless steel and titanium PHC cups as well as the standard range of silver-plated brass mouthpiece cups.

You can e-mail Mike Bosley at mikebosley@hotmail.co.uk or order from HornMart which is run by Mike Bosley on eBay

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/HornMart?_trks ... 7675.l2563

The reviews of stainless steel and titanium tuba and trombone mouthpieces caught our eye at

8-) http://www.gwmouthpieces.com/testimonials.html .............so we just had to make some. The references to dynamic range were especially attractive. We want ppppp as well as fffff!

""Oh Man! - - I'll tell you already.....I used this mouthpiece last week on a quintet tour with my "pre-war" Alex. 6v. F tuba, the tone was more centered than ever and response was so much quicker, I found myself having to "hold back" on the amount of air needed to produce an initial response. Also - - - tonight with the Wichita Symphony using the same "Bora" mouthpiece on my 5/4 Rudy Meinl CC, doing Prok. Romeo and Juliette, the control of dynamics both loud and soft was unbelievable!! Able to "bury the orchestra or match the PPP soli w/ the basses" as needed - - what an AWESOME mouthpiece."

"Results are what I am after when searching for a mouthpiece. Clarity, sonority and richness of sound are obvious qualities that I find are present in this stainless steel mouthpiece. The high quality, engineering and workmanship that has gone into the development of this piece is exactly what I have been looking for. Air efficiency, reliability, accuracy and presence of sound in either a supporting bass line or for a solo line are all attributes found in (this mouthpiece). For extreme dynamics, flexibility of tone color and blending capabilities, this mouthpiece has all these features and more."

Don Harwood
Bass Trombonist
New York Philharmonic

Post subject: Re: PHC Stainless Steel Mouthpieces
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:46 pm 

Sounds very interesting.

What is the difference between the two - SS vs titanium ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

We are hoping for feedback from horn players who attend the 2010 British Horn Festival in Edinburgh over the weekend of 30/31 October.

PHC intend to be there with stainless steel and titanium PHC cups for everyone to try.

It will be very interesting to hear what horn players think of these new PHC cups.

We already know that some horn players love PHC's stainless steel rims and others hate them. Nothing in between. It is mostly the feel of the rims which horn players like or hate. Recently we have discovered that some horn players like an unpolished stainless steel rim when they dislike a polished stainless steel rim. It's the old business of whether you like a shiny new rim or prefer a bit more grip from an older rim or an acetal rim for example. We have been testing away for a while, trying to get everything just right.

With PHC's stainless steel cups you will be able to use your usual rim, whether silver-plated, gold-plated or acetal giving you plenty of options.

We will have some other interesting things for you to try.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:34 am 

Is the bell bronze project still alive?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Yes we are making bell bronze mouthpiece cups. We will tell you more later. It should be quite interesting but we have to see if they are doing what we are hoping they will do first, so more later. We haven't forgotten about the unusually large taper mouthpipes featured on Chinese made horns but again, more later. Thank you for your patience.

:ugeek:

Last bumped by TonyC on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:18 pm.